homestead - Re: [Homestead] Somewhat sobering

  • From: tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Somewhat sobering
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:58:20 -0500

Bill Jones wrote:

I stand corrected; our former "commander-in-chief" was quoted saying only that he hates our military, not our country itself.

The responsibility for any act of government lies with the legislators who vote for a bill, and the guy in the Oval Office who signs it. B. C. was the only American elected official with the power to stop NAFTA and the other free trade bills. His veto would not have been overridden, because they had a fairly slim majority in the House, and if there had been any threat of a move towards a 2/3 supermajority, he could have taken the crusade to the people; the NAFTA side would not have gotten all of the Democrat votes they got, if he had only spoken out against it. NAFTA might have died on the vine after 8 years, but there's every reason to believe that Gore would have been elected in 2000 if not for the substantial number of Florida voters who either voted for Nader or just turned apathetic, as a direct result of Clinton-Gore's actions promoting free trade.

The only option now is to tell us how good free trade will be. I'm always entertained by a Clintonian speech telling us how, in the beautiful future, Americans won't need to pour no steel ingots, nor stitch up shoes like peasant women, but we'll all be rocket scientists and sell our fabulous movie ideas and other "intellectual commodities" to the Chinese.

Bill

tvoivozhd----corrected version of roles played by Bush, Gingrich, Clinton in passing NAFTA

NAFTA, Bush Baby, bottle fed by Gingrich, Clinton Corrected history of NAFTA, a Bush baby, carried in
Gingrich arms, bottle-fed by Clinton whe reneged on protections negotiated with labor unions and other
non-big-business interests---as always, follow the money trail.

http://www.ndu.edu/library/n2/n025603H.pdf

<http://www.ndu.edu/library/n2/n025603H.pdf>