homestead - Re: [Homestead] A secular government is based on freedom,a religious gvernment on repression

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A secular government is based on freedom,a religious gvernment on repression
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 00:08:57 -0700

At 01:39 PM 1/25/05 -0500, you wrote:
>Anywhere, whether in the U.S., Iraq,, Iran, Saudi Arabia, to live under
>the religious looneys is to live in well-justified fearl

The same could be said of atheists, humanists, or any other group. It
really doesn't matter what the beliefs if the individual lusts for power.

The trick is to get a leader who honestly wants what is best for the
people, not what is best for his/her personal agenda.

The problem comes when a leader uses some pet interest to take away the
freedoms/liberties of others. To offer up examples, drugs and terrorism
has been two pet projects in the past decade. Because of US citizen's
fears, many liberties have been disregarded to "safegaurd" our society.
Leaders wanting more power will cloak their projects however they need to
to create more power for themselves. It isn't that the particular pet
project really is important to leader, either, it is simply a problem that
society sees, one that will unite the masses, and one that will allow the
power hungry to usurp more power.

We need to be wary of anyone with *any* agenda that would destroy
individual liberty.

Best wishes,
Melody