homestead - Re: [Homestead] A PVC question

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A PVC question
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 09:58:34 -0700

Would I push the pipe sections over a heated cone or would I rather heat the pipe and push the heated plastic over a cold cone? Or is there a better way?

I would exercise caution about heating PVC for prolonged periods; I think it outgases nasty stuff. In this application perhaps a low heat would be effective and safe.

I just remembered: I once made a water hose hanger of a six- or eight-inch section of four-inch PVC. I cut across the pipe, leaving a wide "strap" that I bent to 90 degrees so I could drill a hole and screw it to the wall. As I recall, I laid the strap side of the pipe on the barrel stove and tested every ten or twenty seconds. Didn't take long before the strap bent easily.