homestead - [Homestead] Re: Rural Voters

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Re: Rural Voters
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 11:26:56 -0800

There's no time for writing. I'm preparing Indian food for the MG potluck. Here's something no one there has ever had. The common Cotoneaster makes red-orange berries this time of year, and they're very edible but bland. I found a chutney recipe with lots of interesting flavorings like saffron and lovage seed, one requiring "mango or quince" paste, and it's just the ticket. Jaffrey's broiled chicken recipe doesn't have any seasonings in common with this south Indian chutney, except for garlic and ginger of course, so the flavors will really contrast. I'll have enough Cotoneaster Chutney Khasa to can some up.

Meanwhile I've finished the demo for the software to draw the new extension office and its landscaping in 3-D.

Rob wrote:

> I've always found Bill to see things in black and white in his political writings.

I suppose one can always intone such things, but the facts are that it doesn't fit the online discussion. As I recall, one person wrote something like "let's paint some Republicans black by connecting them with Free Trade" and I pointed out that things were not always so black and white, since both Clinton and Kerry are knee-jerk lackies for Free Trade as well. Then someone else reminded us that black is still black and white is still white (Republicans are for big business and Democrats are for the little people). If you examine it, it was only I who held any grayish view at all.

If you mean that a politician suddenly goes from being a virgin to a whore in my eyes, and once there can never redeem himself, I suppose you're right. It's like that with any sort of liar. I can always ask, "how do I know this sentence isn't also a lie?" Politicians are a dime a dozen, so my attitude is just to get another one.

Bill