homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: Rural Voters

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: Rural Voters
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:19:26 -0700

Didn't the Democrats control both houses after the '92 election? I don't see how it's possible to get anything out of this other than that, in general, Democrat politicians supported NAFTA wholeheartedly. At that point you can take the position that NAFTA is good, and defend that if you like, but there's no way to blame NAFTA on the Republicans.

Short-term, I don't like NAFTA; long-term, history may show it to be in our best interest. As for who did it, the Republicans started it and wanted it but the Democrats successfully fought it during Bush I; Clinton was elected, the congressional Democrats did not want it, Clinton worked hard and got the necessary Democrat votes added to the Republican votes to pass it. A quick Googling shows that members of both parties were impressed with his successful work, even those who lost on the bill. NAFTA is the last hard fought bipartisan big bill I can recall.