homestead - Re: [Homestead] No till, no planting, no pruning, no work tomatoes

  • From: clhw AT InfoAve.Net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] No till, no planting, no pruning, no work tomatoes
  • Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 15:08:14 -0500

We had tomato seeds wash out the kitchen drain, into a small puddle where
the drain emptied into a field. Beautiful tomato plants grew around the
edges of the puddle. We were scared to eat them because we had just bought
the place and didn't know what had been drained out there. Some dairy
calves we were raising did eat them. We eventually changed the plumbing to
run into the septic tank so no more volunteer tomatoes.

I bought an acorn squash at the grocery store several years ago. The seeds
and rinds were thrown out on the "compost pile" after the meat was eaten. I
was just beginning on composting and that particular pile only did any
initial heat before the squash seed arrived. We harvested, and ate, 5
bushels of acorn squash from that compost pile. I would have thought the
grocery store squash was hybrid but these were good squash.

10 or 15 years after our neighbors last had a garden, we bought their olw
home place. They had lived there since about 1943. We discovered some
garlic growing in the old garden site, dug them and brought them home. We
have garlic scattered out every where, mostly from those rescued bulbs.
Lynn