homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plants, kitchen table tissue culture

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plants, kitchen table tissue culture
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:21:42 -0500

I have heard that this is a good way to propagate blueberry plants. Are the resulting plantlets vigorous?

I'm afraid my opinion is a cryptic answer: the ones that live are vigorous. If you want 20 plants, set out 60 cuttings. Half will die and a third of what's left will puny. But in he end you'll get your good 20 plants. "Layering", the second method, will give better plants especially if you prune off 3/4ths of the stem when you dig it. In a few years you can't tell the difference between the mother plant and the ones from cuttings. Blueberry plants live a loooong time.

James