homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plants, kitchen table tissue culture

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberry plants, kitchen table tissue culture
  • Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:17:51 -0500

Rabbiteye blue berries do great here and they are very expensive to buy
small bushes from someone like Park Seed Company, about 15 miles away. I
have friends who have some bushes which have grown here for decades. Tissue
culture sounds like the way to go to if I want to start my own plantation
of blueberries.

Lynn, in late winter you can take cuttings from one year old wood and plant them 2/3 down in potting soil and about half of them will root and grow into new plants. Likewise you can heap dirt or compost around a mature plant and the various stems will set on roots where they are covered with soil. Cut the stem lose and transplant it.

James