homestead - Re: [Homestead] Looking at property in Missouri National Forest

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Looking at property in Missouri National Forest
  • Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2004 11:09:37 -0700

Clint, that is my area of greatest knowledge. My personal property is in Ozark County, near Caney Mountain Preserve. The Mark Twain National Forest has various large parts in Howell, Oregon, Ozark, Taney and other counties. Here is the url of the official site:
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/marktwain/
The Forests are mostly just large, irregular-shaped pieces of natural forested hills and hollows. They sometimes enclose or wrap private property that existed before the Forest was established. For the twenty-five or so years I have owned and lived there I have not heard or seen any problems regarding coexisting with the designated forest areas. These are not heavy-use areas. The roads are long since well established. Deer and turkey hunters would be the most likely inconvenience. Some weekend party types might make some noise.

Do you have a good agent there? I know most of them and some are much better than others. Agents who live and work there will have the most current information as well as an understanding of the history. The better ones will disclose known negatives.

Gene

Does anyone know the pros and cons of purchasing property in or near a
National Forest. My wife and I are looking at property near Ava
Missouri. I don't know exactly where it's at but I'm wondering what's
the deal with national forests. I see towns and roads in them so I'm
wondering how they're different than the surrounding areas. Any info
would be appreciated

Thanks, Clint