homestead - Re: [Homestead] ...'political attack' on girlfriend

  • From: Lee Flier <lflier AT mindspring.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] ...'political attack' on girlfriend
  • Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:50:36 -0500

DSanner106 AT aol.com wrote:

I disagree too, I think the main difference with vietnam veterans is that when they returned home, instead of being honored for their service and suffering, they were spit on , protested against by the Kerry's and Fonda's of the wor
ld and made to feel ashamed for their time in.
Errhh... have you read Kerry's actual (1971) address to the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations regarding Vietnam? First of all he was never aligned with Jane Fonda. Second, I think his actual words and actions showed deep concern for the troops and there was no shame implied in their service at all. Quite the contrary, he simply didn't want any more troops to die or be hung out to dry for what he saw firsthand was a BS war.

Besides that, Kerry's speech was quite prescient especially for 1971. He accurately surmised that the threat of Communism was vastly overrated, that no one was going to get involved in a global war and that our military needed to be focused on guerilla warfare (terrorism).

Check it out, it's quite a read.

http://www.c-span.org/2004vote/jkerrytestimony.asp

Lee