homestead - Re: [Homestead] Outhouse pit, compost, compost tea

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Outhouse pit, compost, compost tea
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:36:55 -0700

Robert Walton wrote:
http://www.weblife.org/humanure/images/fig8-4.jpg (box to take a single bucket or bag-in-a-bucket. Use carbonaceous material to accellerate transformation into compost---and segregate urine)

http://www.lowimpact.org/infosheetcomposttoilets.pdf (a two-chamber toilet is most numerous now in Asia---using two plastic bags. When one is full, use the other, giving a year or so for the first one to convert the contents to easily-handled compost. The only thing of importance is to remember you want aerobic decomposition----anaerobic decomposition really, really stinks)

http://web.tusco.net/soiltech/facts.htm (I have done a great deal of research on composting toilets in the past. Of the commercial varieties I like Biolet the best---and own one. They all have a screened vent-pipe to keep out the inevitable insects in the absence of a screen, and remove odors which will exist until the manure is covered and until it starts to decompose.
And of the Biolet models, I prefer the only fail-safe one, which has a hand-operated mechanical stirrer instead of one that relies on electricity---the K.I.S.S. is the best engineering principle to follow.

http://www.eob.alvsbyn.net/principlesEOB.htm (depending on how much you want to spend on a composting toilet, you can evaporate urine from a pan, or divert it to an outside removable container. Urine is pathogen-free and can be used immediately around your bushes---or garden plants for that matter, your cabbage, lettuce, corn, anything that sticks out of the ground if you are a little queasy about root crops.)

http://www.worldtoilet.org/design/design_Hand_made_simple_toilet.htm (I'm not really in favor of flush toilets of any kind, but it fits the mindset of many people---here is one using a plastic bucket and a simple, but effective sealing mechanism---the point of seal is a water-trap, so it won't smell anymore than your thousand dollar Kohler or American Standard flush toilet, with its gas-sealing liquid trap

http://berkana.tomoye.com/ev.php?ID=1557_201&ID2=DO_TOPIC (Kofunda---I you have a big enough back yard---move your toilet once a year and plant a tree on the site recently left---good for you, good for the tree)

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/academic/agriculture/sustainable_agriculture/faqs/Compost-Tea.FAQ (byproducts, compost tea for your garden)

http://www.ias.unu.edu/proceedings/icibs/ibs/ibsnet/InFoRM2000-paper.htm (an integrated biosystem is even better if you have animals and a fairly extensive source of carbonaceous materials)

http://www.ipcc.ie/wormbin.html (let earthworms help you)

http://journeytoforever.org/compost_humanure.html