homestead - Re: [Homestead] Re: Outhouse pit

  • From: "Toni Hawryluk" <tonihawr AT msn.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Re: Outhouse pit
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:15:33 -0700

>From: ted<mailto:music AT thenightshades.com>
> Over here we're doing a composting deal- 55 gallon drum, pile of wood
shavings (hardwood preferred) to cover up each time. Saves digging a big old
hole. Rotate 2 drums and one ought to be nice clean dirt by the time the
other fills, for our little 2 person household. Check out the Humanure
Handbook!

Seems like there are additional benefits :
the well water won't be polluted that way
(unless you are careless about situating the
barnyard/poultry), there's no septic 'system'
to clog up, and you don't need quite as much
water .... until you get old enough to really
appreciate the comfort of 'modern sanitation'.