homestead - Re: [Homestead] Outhouse pit

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Outhouse pit
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:34:22 -0700

Was doing some web surfing about building an outhouse. Who has done it? Any ideas? How big should the pit be?

We get questions. Sometimes we get sufficient information.

Yeah, I've done it. Rob, how good is the drainage? How much meat do you eat? How many parties do you anticipate? Wanna build a two-holer or a one-holer? Gonna line it with concrete block and build a house on top so it doesn't rot, or just do a temporary bizness, what in the military we called a latrine? Are you taking along any fastidious ladies who might wrinkle noses (and, if so, do you care) or is this a down-and-dirty, do-it-and-get-out trip? You can do a squat hole of minimal dimensions or a lordly edifice of substantial size. How do you feel about peekers? Are you, um, regular, or do you need time in the morning to contemplate the sunrise?