homestead - [Homestead] Web browsers

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Web browsers
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:09:49 -0700

We have a number of compueniuses on this list. So how about recommendations to the rest of us who are tired of the pop-ups and other distracting and time-consuming features of Internet Explorer. What do you use?

Sampling a World of New Ways to Grapple With the Web
By VERLYN KLINKENBORG

Published: October 11, 2004

At the moment, at least eight different Web browsers reside in my computer. There's no earthly reason to have so many except for the slightly obsessive fun of it. And these are just the non-arcane browsers - the ones that didn't ask me to install supporting programs I don't understand. I've also resisted the temptation to build my own browser, which is the kind of project computer magazines like to publish. I know what my do-it-yourself browser would look like. The decals would be crooked and the paint would have fingerprints on it, just like the model airplanes I built as a kid.
The number and diversity of these browsers is, to me, a very hopeful sign. Not that long ago, Microsoft and Netscape were fighting for control of the computer desktop, a battle that still goes on in one form or another. Microsoft argued that only a browser tightly integrated with the rest of the operating system could deliver the seamless, gratifying Web-browsing experience most people hope for.
But Microsoft was wrong. These days, nobody wants to have anything tightly integrated with the Windows operating system, which has come to seem surprisingly troublesome. Windows takes a lot of care and feeding, more than most people want to give it. As for Internet Explorer, it has grown into a problem in its own right. Software developers complain about it. Ordinary users get sick of the pop-up fireworks. Even in corporate America - which finds its allegiance to Microsoft routinely tested - business users are being asked to switch from Explorer to the Mozilla Foundation's Firefox for security reasons.
What went wrong with Internet Explorer is a big subject. But one answer, apart from the mediocrity of the software itself, is that it sided with the commercial purposes of the Internet and not with the user. Explorer works like one of those magical doors in a horror movie: open it and the ghosts come flying in, swirling around your head, threatening to suck you into the maw of chaos. But users want control. They want to believe they have the power to explore the Web on their own terms. Explorer wants them to sit still and shut up.
A couple of years ago, I switched from Windows to Apple. The switch was, in many ways, a revelation. Apple's browser, Safari, seemed astonishingly polite, almost discreet, after the imperious behavior of Explorer. Switching to Safari was also a reminder of something that's obvious to computer geeks but not so obvious to ordinary users. A browser is just a way of putting a friendly face on code. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't have to become an institution. It doesn't have to metastasize.
I stuck with Safari for a time, largely on the assumption - as endemic in the Apple world as it is in Microsoft's - that somehow the browser built by the maker of the underlying operating system must be better than all the others. But switching from Windows to Apple prepared me to keep on switching. It taught me that market share means nothing in terms of quality. It made me wonder whether there was any inherent advantage in a browser that happened to be the same brand as the computer that was running it. The answer, it turns out, is no. These days, there is an array of agile, interesting browsers.
What's refreshing about these programs is their diversity. The best of them are astonishingly nimble. They are almost absurdly adaptable to the tastes and needs of the user. Most are free, and many are open source. They have none of the monolith about them, none of that feeling of being shackled to a leviathan.
For a time in the mid-90's, it looked as though the Internet, or at least the tools we used to view it, would be utterly co-opted by Microsoft and its essentially mercantile vision of the Web. Microsoft still has an enormous lead in market share when it comes to browsers. But we've come, in the browser world, to that memorable moment we came to long ago in the world of telephones. America woke up one day and discovered that you didn't need a Ma Bell telephone to use Ma Bell.