homestead - Re: [Homestead] Web browsers

  • From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Web browsers
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:44:46 -0700

Gene GeRue wrote:

We have a number of compueniuses on this list. So how about recommendations to the rest of us who are tired of the pop-ups and other distracting and time-consuming features of Internet Explorer. What do you use?

tvoivozhd---I stopped using Internet Explorer years ago---many problems, few benefits and I don't want Microsoft to be in command of a sinking ship anyway as they are now with the numerous (forever?) delays of Longhorn which should be renamed Shorthorn

I have Opera in this machine and liked it, except for the fact that websites written for IE wouldn't receive it. Went to Mozilla 172? (forget the version) which works pretty well, and downloaded Firefox and its cohort Thunderbird, primarily for the speed and smaller footprint. Of course with no broadband until November, don't really know what I will wind up with---Verizon for wireless, or Craig-Botetourt, whose wireless transmitter will be visible from my back door (if I had a backdoor). At that time, I will probably drop Earthlink as ISP, though it is the best of all ISP's, having bought up all the good ones (and one better one, Infinet, where you always talked to REAL people to quickly and expertly solve problems.) So-called experts at Earthlink whisper feebly in your ear---not sure whether they have cancer of the larynx, or have been instructed to induce customers to go away.

Earthlink does get rid of almost all the popups, and in the past year, all the spam, though it may classify some useful information as spam---If you suspect that to be the case, you can lower the general spam barrier, or permanently allow things through on a case-by-case basis. People have complained a lot about AOL for blocking many sources of information they wanted and expected to get---I don't know, I ran screaming from AOL eight years ago and never looked back.

.