homestead - Re: [Homestead] Education---Catch 'em early

  • From: Kathyann Natkie <knat AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Education---Catch 'em early
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2004 08:02:11 -0400

> tvoivozhd---children learn best if education commences at the earliest
> age possible. First grade students do better if they have been in
> Kindergarten---that's why the education-fanatic Germans introduced it
> and observed the consequences on their children to prove their concept.

That's previously tested- test best in first grade. Subsequent years the
self-directed outshine. SAT tied to nurture in preschool. Home and
informal/independent preschools better prepare for higher education.

> tvoivozhd---batshit---I say and REPEAT, adequate salaries are a
> NECESSARY component. And yes, the cost of NOT running the education
> business properly is VASTLY more expensive than running it properly.
>
> My radar screen says their is NO mass-education alternative to the
> public school system. You do home-schooling and I might do home
> schooling, but in spite of online educational material today, it is a
> puny number of parents practice it---what is the number, 1.3 million?,
> 1.6 million, no matter, it is a trivial amount.

Keynote speaker at Unchoolers Conference yesterday says looks lower than
that. Those figures include as homeschoolers those attending school less
than 25 hours a week. Online courses are a symptom of trying to make
money off homeschoolers. Canned curriculum abandoned as ineffective by
schools now being sold to parents trying to form alternatives as
"traditional."

> And except in very rare
> circumstances like in an affiliation with a richly funded public school,
> home-schoolers are excluded from working in expensive laboratories---a
> terrible handicap in an increasingly high-tech age.

Actually the homeschoolers have better access since they are treated as
individuals and companies can integrate an individual more easily than
setting up a lab setting to simulate the real for a group. Part-time
apprenticeships common.

> tvoivoahd---yeah, let the little monsters kick each other in the shins
> pull hair and throw bowling pinat each other---wouldn't want to make
> them feel bad by stopping it, would you?

Caged animals always self-mutilate and destroy property unless offered
tasks that mimic free life. Stricter bondage has been repaced in zoos by
creative outlet.

Kathyann