homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homebuilders nightmare, Big Timber dream - Not

  • From: Walter H.Jeffries <Highlands AT blacklightning.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homebuilders nightmare, Big Timber dream - Not
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:13:08 -0400

On Sep 2, 2004, at 2:57 AM, Lynda wrote:
Ah, the U.S. government pays for the building of logging roads, the U.S.
government sells "trees" at ridiculously low prices to big business timber
outfits such as Georgia Pacific, LP, PalCo, etc. A lot of those logging
roads that the taxpayer is paying for are on private land.

Not all of the timber industry is the 'Big Timber'. On the east coast there a great many small timber operations, on private land, without any government subsidy, no government built logging roads, etc. I own our forest land, pay taxes on it, build and pay for my own logging roads without government subsidies. I do selective cutting of individual trees, small patch cuts and when it is time, over-story removal so the next generation grows tall and healthy. This is sustainable forestry. That is a totally different process than what 'Big Timber' is doing out west on public lands and what is done in Canada. Don't confuse them and paint with so broad a brush. The import tariff is a good thing that helps to protect small timber producers, as well as 'Big Timber', against the subsidies that Canadian companies get.

The give-away of trees to 'Big Timber' out west is unfortunate. The same happens in Canada. I would love the USA and Canadian governments did not subsidize the big timber (almost exclusively out west in the USA) because 'Big Timber' are my competitors. It would be nice if we had to play on a level field where they had to buy and own their own timber land and manage it sustain-ably instead of strip logging and clear cutting. That would be more fair and better for the environment. But don't confuse the issues of the tariffs which counter Canadian subsidies with the give away of trees to 'Big Timber'.

Realize that it would also jack up the price of building with a home. Tvo was complaining about the added $2,000 due to import tariffs. That is a minor cost in the building of a home and the Canadian import tariff should be there jacking up the price to make up for the Canadian subsidy, and a tariff should be charged on the western wood (i.e.. charge the timber companies the same prices they would have to pay if they were cutting on private land and buying the timber). They should no longer be allowed to clear cut the way they have in the past. That too would jack up the price of a new home. Are you willing to pay for sustainability? Logging is good, when done sustainably but it costs more. The forest is a renewable resource if properly managed, it keeps our trade balance, provides jobs, builds houses, etc. The way 'Big Timber' does it in the USA, Canada and elsewhere is not good. There are alternatives - support the timber industry that does sustainable forestry.

You are painting the issue with too broad a brush and missing the details. Sad.

-Walter
West Topsham, Vermont
---
Laser Printer Iron-on Heat Transfer Toner: http://transfertoner.com/
Custom Transfers on Shirts, mugs & more: http://bltserve.com/
Holly's Pencil Portraits: http://hollygraphicart.com/

For Sale: 1825 post & beam farm house, 4 square cape with kitchen el, pit sawn boards, big beams, beehive oven, 2 fireplaces, helical chimney, own a piece of Vermont history - one of the first houses in the area. Must be moved! Foundation stones also available. Some land available too.