homestead - Re: [Homestead] The Usury Business, How To Avoid Going To Jail

  • From: "clanSkeen" <sgian AT planetc.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The Usury Business, How To Avoid Going To Jail
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 15:11:08 -0400

> A GOP fleecing of card users

Tvo,

Am I missing something here? In order for a credit card company to do
anything to you at all, you have to agree ahead of time that they can do it.
There are plenty, plenty of harm foisted on us against our will (taxes,
regulations) that could be addressed rather than expending our energy on
trying to protect people from their own stupidity.

I delete 100 credit card offers a day from my various email accounts. Five
or six people call a week offering cards and I get 15 to 20 of them in the
mail a week. Out of curiosity I opened one before dumping the lot in the
trash can,. It clearly stated on it that the interest rate would be
something like 9% but if the holder defaulted on any credit based payment of
any kind for any reason, the 48% rate would apply.

I'm not going to get into being an apologist for Bush. I don't doubt a
thing in the article you attached. But so far Bush has not proposed any law
that *forces* anyone to have anything whatever to do with these credit card
companies.

James