gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Copyright on germination instructions?

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Copyright on germination instructions?
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:47:39 -0500

Having written and/or edited a few hundred seedpacks for Seeds of Change over the last two years, I would have to say that these are very much copyrightable. There are infinite ways to convey information, and it is a real, and extremely time-consuming, challenge to jam as much pertinent info as possible on the back of a pack and still have it be readable. Every word becomes significant.  If you are hired to provide seedpack copy, I think it would be best to write from your experience bolstered by some reliable sources of information and as stated below, develop a unique voice.

I'm sure that anyone who writes recipes would feel the same.

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts+Ecology
Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future

35 Moose Pond Road
Otisfield, Maine 04270
207-739-2409 Studio
207-890-4099 Cell