gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Tree question

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Fran <fgustman@juno.com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Tree question
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:28:40 -0400

Is your friend looking forward to the blooms for themselves or in order to get nuts? The horse chestnut is not edible but the flowers are attractive.

Fran

Lucky Pittman wrote:

At 05:18 PM 9/28/2005, you wrote:

Here is the American Chestnut Foundation website: http://www.acf.org/
THey will have the answer!

Probably not.
Horsechestnut & buckeyes are in the genus Aesculus, whereas the true chestnuts are members of the genus Castanea. They're not even in the same family or order.

I would anticipate that a well-tended seed-grown horsechestnut should be reaching sufficient maturity at around 10-12 years that your friend could anticipate some blooms soon, but who knows - it could take 20 years for it to reach that stage. If he's really impatient, I suppose he could attempt any number of things that might hasten time to bloom - root pruning, ringbarking, etc., but all these carry the potential to possibly harm his tree.