gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Tree question

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Tree question
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:14:48 -0500

At 05:18 PM 9/28/2005, you wrote:
Here is the American Chestnut Foundation website:  http://www.acf.org/
THey will have the answer!
Probably not.
Horsechestnut & buckeyes are in the genus Aesculus, whereas the true chestnuts are members of the genus Castanea.  They're not even in the same family or order.

I would anticipate that a well-tended seed-grown horsechestnut should be reaching sufficient maturity at around 10-12 years that your friend could anticipate some blooms soon, but who knows - it could take 20 years for it to reach that stage.
If he's really impatient, I suppose he could attempt any number of things that might hasten time to bloom - root pruning, ringbarking, etc., but all these carry the potential to possibly harm his tree.