gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Tree question

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: "Tom Ogren" <tloallergyfree@earthlink.net>
  • To: "gardenwriters-on-gardening" <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Tree question
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 16:50:49 -0700

Carol,

 Well, of course, a horse chestnut isn't the same at all as an American Chestnut.....Often, the more a plant is "pruned," by people or deer or whatever, but the more it is pruned, the slower it will be to bloom and fruit....or at least this is certainly true with apples, peaches, plums, pears, etc.
  I would give it fertilizers high in phosphorus and potassium and very low in nitrogen, as that can help induce flowering.
    Here, in California, we have native horse chestnuts, Aesculus californica, and they will often bloom by the time they are a decade old, so I'd say that this one in question ought to be about ready to  bloom.
   One more thought: with avocado trees that grow big but won't bloom and fruit, we often scar the trunk with a knife, and this will usually induce blooming. Horse chestnut trees bloom after they have leafed out, so if he were to scar the trunk, early spring would probably be the best time to try it.

Tom Ogren