gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Container gardening

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Nan Sterman <Talkingpoints@PlantSoup.Com>
  • To: gardenwriters-on-gardening <gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Container gardening
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:47:05 -0700

Okay, I have a question that's so basic it's almost embarrassing. Every summer the pots on my "terrace" (fieldstones with dirt between the spaces) get splattered with hard-to-remove dirt, even those elevated on pot feet. Mulching the plants helps a little, but not much. This year I've bought a relatively expensive Lunaform pot, and don't want to risk getting it dirty. Suggestions? I was thinking of putting plastic, like you get from the dry cleaners, under the pots, then trying to camouflage it. (I sometimes put sandwich bags under small pots of plants that need a lot of water, like alocasias, to fend off slugs, and that's been relatively effective at both preventing slug damage and keeping dirt away.) But plastic on the ground seems kind of unpleasant. I can't put cement in the spaces between the fieldstones because the house is a rental and, well, it would be a big, expensive ordeal.
My garden is so shady in the summer that my collection of containers in the back becomes the main event.
TIA,
Nancy Stedman, NYC

If splashing dirt is the problem, how about using a mulch of rounded gravel? A couple of inches should be more than enough.

Nan
--

Nan Sterman Plant Soup (TM)
PO Box 231034
Encinitas, CA 92023 760.634.2902 (voice)
Talkingpoints@PlantSoup.Com 760.634.2957 (fax)