gwl-g - Re: [gwl-g] Early plant deliveries

gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: gardenwriters-on-gardening

  • From: Hamptongar@aol.com
  • To: gwl-g@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [gwl-g] Early plant deliveries
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:05:22 EST

The first thing I'd do is contact the vendor in writing puttin them on notice that the plants were shipped to early.  This gives the gardener some recourse if the plants fail.  Potted up in an unheated garage, or even a basement for a few weeks would be my choice.  Under lights they are very likely to get leggy and need considerable hardening off before planting.  There might even be some success by bagging them in peat moss in an air tight plastic bag or container and putting them in the refrigerator.  One or two small holes in the bag will prevent condensation and rotting.  The plastic bag is critical though because othewise a modern frost free refrigerator will dehydrate the plants in no time.

Andrew Messinger
The Hampton Gardener

The Hampton Gardener is a Registered Trade Mark
(Published every Thursday in the Southampton Press)