gmark - Re: [GMark] "The Abomination that Causes Desolation" Mk. 13:14

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: George Young <webber_young AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] "The Abomination that Causes Desolation" Mk. 13:14
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 15:53:15 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Mr. Patton:

The Messianic predictions which Jesus gives concerning
the Son of Man are very interesting, especially that
the Son of Man META TREIS HMERAS ANASTHSETAI.
Perhaps one might ask: "Just how should we interpret
the *three day* predictions in the teaching of Jesus?"
(e.g., Mk 8:31, 9:31, 10:34). And all the more so,
since the Gospel of Mark states that "very early on
the first day of the week" the women arrive at the
tomb and the stone is already rolled away (Mk. 16:4).
Still more, it is worth adding that they see a
NEANISKON wearing a white robe. Well, we all can do
the math, yes? According to the Gospel of Mark, Jesus
was crucified on Friday and rose again on Monday -
that’s three days. But not three days and nights (cf.
Matthew. & Luke). If I may for a moment deviate from
strict Markan diet, I will partially respond to your
observations. While Jesus was in *Dalmanoutha,* the
Pharisees attacked Him viciously with words, even
asking Him for a sign from Heaven! Jesus responds by
saying "If a sign shall be given to this generation, I
am not the Christ" (Mk. 8:10-13). What do we do with
those ‘other sayings,’ like the "Sign of the Prophet
Jonah?" We hear Him say: "As Jonah was three days and
nights in the belly of the whale so shall the Son of
Man be three days and nights in the heart of the
earth" (Matt. 12:40). What can one say about the Sign
of the Prophet Jonah? Perhaps one might echo E. Von
Dobschutz when he wrote "Nobody… has succeeded in
giving a fair explanation of what the sign of the
prophet Jonah might mean" (1910 AD). Or, one might
risk an explanation (see that offered up by Jeffery
Gibson, 2004 http://ntgateway.com/gospels/gibson.pdf).
The problem, of course, is that in the former case
Von Dobschutz gives up and does not know what to do
(except to implicitly claim that since he doesn’t
know, nobody else can know either). In the latter
case, Gibson refuses to give up, but can’t speak above
the sound of the crowd (it all sounds the same). To
be sure, Gibson offers up 17 pages of explanation and
54 footnotes - but never once considers the meaning of
the name "Jonah" - which means "to suppress" and
"oppress." Mr. Patton, Jesus also said to Peter,
Andrew, James and John, that "Truly I say to you, this
generation shall not pass away until all these things
have been fulfilled" (Mk. 13:30). My interpretation
is that Jesus is teaching his disciples that their
generation will not pass away (i.e., die) until
everything he said comes to pass. As for believers
today, we all probably have heard of the excuses
offered up to try to soften, dilute, expunge, twist,
or - as Harry Staiti makes plain - just deny this
verse any veracity whatsoever. However (and please
bear with me, I am making a point), Jesus also said
"All things are possible with God" (Mk. 10:27). So,
the sign of the prophet Jonah is for whom? And what
about those three days and nights?

Sincerely,

Webber Young.