gmark - Re: [GMark] "The Abomination that Causes Desolation" Mk. 13:14

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT comcast.net>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] "The Abomination that Causes Desolation" Mk. 13:14
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 11:37:24 -0500

George Patton wrote:

> Dear Mr. Young:
>
> I agree. In Mark's gospel, something may apply to more than one
> event. For example before chapter 13, Jesus says that after three
> days he will rise, but after chapter 13 (and the 20th verse about the
> shortening of the days) Jesus is said to rise early on the third day.
> This shortening of the days could also apply to some other
> persecutions of the church.

I am going to ask that if the current participants in this tread wish to
continue their exchanges, they do not apeal, as they appear to be doing,
solely to gut feeling or an uninformed reading of Mark as the arbiter of
truth when they make assertions about what passages in Mark "apply" to.

Assertions about what Mark says should not only be backed up with
evidence from the text of Mark itself, but also show awareness of, and
be in dialogue with, at least some of the scholarly literature on the
point in question.

Participants must also -- as per protocols-- refrain from quoting the
entirety of the messages they are responding to, let alone the entirety
of the exchange itself.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--