gmark - Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Peter Head <pmh15 AT cam.ac.uk>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark
  • Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2005 23:45:06 +0100

Thanks Michael for your suggestions:

> > As a discussion point: Imagine you have 10-12
> lectures on Mark. What topics
> > would you cover?

Mark a construction off 2 Kings and other OT texts
(Brodie, _The Crucial Bridge_, for example), how does
it incorporate history, and how do we know?

I am struggling with where to deal with historicity issues. Especially whether to give it a separate lecture, or to let it emerge via Genre, Setting, Discipleship type lectures. Probably if I do one it would be on Mark's sources and history rather than the kind of Tom Brodie stuff you are thinking of here. Hmmm.

genres/techniques/motifs/structures does GMark share
with other narratives of its day?

Yeah, Genre deserves a lecture. I think I'll try to do Genre and Original Form (Roll vs Codex) in one lecture. This also relates (at least partly) to history questions.

3. Mark in early Christian history -- how is Mark
related to other texts (Paulines, Q, Thomas, Hebrews,
Synoptics and John)

To me this is not such a big deal. Should it be?

other literary features, structures, and motifs.
Characters and their roles (disciples, minor figures,
Jesus)

Yes, although it would be possible to introduce narrative issues into other lectures (e.g. disciples, Christology, God etc.), I am thinking that it would be helpful to students to have a straightforward intro to some narrative approaches and terminology.

5. Mark and Mark's Jesus from a theological standpoint
-- Adoptionist? Theos Aner, Son of God? What is the
Kingdom of God?

Yes, something on Mark's Christology definitely. I think also a lecture on Mark's God would be useful (Mark's view of Kingdom of God as subset of Mark's view of God). As mentioned these have opportunities for various narrative issues too (simple characterisation etc., let alone Danove).

6. The history of the text of Mark -- where has it
been redacted, interpolated and edited? How can we
tell?

Yes, not perhaps in exactly these terms; but something on the Text of Mark.

7. The date of Mark

No, not enough evidence (or significance) to warrant a lecture. Deal with it under Setting.

8. Orality in Mark. Was Mark meant to be performed?

No, doesn't need a lecture. Deal with this under Genre.

9. Community and Geography in Mark: where was Mark
written? What was its community like?

Yep. The Setting of Mark.

10. The Social World of Mark: Jewish culture,
Hellenistic culture, Roman rule, peasants.....

No, this is a second year class, they should know the basics. And they'll pick up lots more in their reading classes.

11. Just for fun: Controversies in Mark (4:11-12, the
Naked Young Man of Mk 14, the Ending of Mark....

Hmmm. Maybe!

So, thanks for this. I'm just seeing what I've committed to by now:

1. Intro: Outline of Mark and Overview of Reception
2. The Greek of Mark
3. The Text of Mark
4. The Disciples in Mark
5. The Setting/Occasion of Mark
6. The Christology of Mark.
7. The Genre of Mark
8. The Narrative of Mark
9. The God of Mark
?? Historicity

Cheers

Pete

Peter M. Head, PhD
Tyndale House
36 Selwyn Gardens Phone: (UK) 01223 566607
Cambridge, CB3 9BA Fax: (UK) 01223 566608