gmark - Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "John Oliff" <JOLIFF AT pbu.edu>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [GMark] Language and Style of Mark
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 06:53:26 -0400

Peter: Here is the quote most often used by Auerbach (cf. Hans Frei "Eclipse of Biblical Narrative" also); as for the text books on Mark, I will get a list together on Monday or so. John

The Bible’s claim to truth is not only far more urgent than Homer’s, it is tyrannical - it excludes all other claims.  The world of the Scripture stories is not satisfied with claiming to be historically true reality - it insists that it is the only real world, is destined for autocracy... The Scripture stories do not, like Homer’s, court and favor, they do not flatter us so that they may please and enchant us - they seek to subject us and if we refuse we are rebels.
                                              E. Auerbach, Mimesis, (1953: 14-15)