gmark - RE: Books

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Books
  • Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 06:55:33 -0500

Zack Skrip wrote:

> hey guys,
>
> I have heard that this book is almost bar none one of the best out there.
> Haven't read it myself, but I trust the source.
>
> The Gospel according to Saint Mark : an introduction and commentary /
> Author Cranfield, C. E. B.
> Publisher Cambridge : University Press, 1972.

It is, for all practical purposes, a condensed version of Vincent Taylor's
commentary on Mark. Moreover, it is hardly an exciting read. It is beset with
the
assumptions that were prevalent in Markan studies in the early portion of the
20th century: Mark contains Peter's eyewitness testimony; Mark, being the
earliest of the Gospels, is closest in time to the events it narrates and is
therefore reasonably historically reliable.

Hardly a book that is far and away the "best" out there on Mark.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)