gmark - RE: Transfiguration / Resurrection

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: Kata Markon <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Transfiguration / Resurrection
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 08:24:48 -0800

We have considered Homer and Hebrew scriptures as sources, - I have another possible source.

Mark does not have a resurrection appearance. Perhaps the Transfiguration was originally a resurrection appearance in Mark's received tradition. It has all the signs. Mark (as discussed in a previous thread) climaxes his presentation in the middle, and not where we'd expect (and desire it?), at the end of his gospel. Mark is working towards his enigmatic ending (...they were afraid) from the very beginning. By placing this resurrection appearance here he retains tradition in clearly showing a vindicated/glorified/victorious Christ - and also subverts tradition by presenting this as a Transfiguration and not a Resurrection. The resurrection is simply left "[un/]explained by silence".

In a nut shell - I think Mark inherited this story in his received tradition. That tradition (or Mark?) probably fashioned it according to Ex 19-20, and 1 King 19. Any Homeric influence, to me, are probably unconscious, or a mere after-thought.
--
Peace

Steve Black
Vancouver, BC