gmark - RE: Transfiguration / Resurrection

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: "Dennis MacDonald" <dmacdon AT cst.edu>
  • To: 'Kata Markon' <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Transfiguration / Resurrection
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 07:15:28 -0700

Just a note, in my book The Homeric Epics and the Gospel of Mark I argue
that the Transfiguration story is a christianization of Odysseus's
transfiguration to Telemachus in Odyssey 16. Here Athena dresses Odysseus
in brilliant clothing. Take a look.
On a related topic, I also argued that Mark does indeed fall into two
units, like the Odyssey. The first part of both books concerns travel and
supernatural and mortal opponents. The second half of both books involves
conflicts over the authority of the palace, so to speak. The passion
narrative, however, recasts Iliad books 22 and 24.
Dennis MacDonald