gmark - Re: Transfiguration/Resurrection

gmark AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Kata Markon

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Kata Markon" <gmark AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Transfiguration/Resurrection
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:56:58 -0800

Joe, I think it exceptional that the reference to the clothing of Jesus
gleaming like no earthly bleacher could produce (viz. a divine bleacher) in
the context of a transfiguration both in the Odyssey and Mark can be no
accident, especially in light of Jesus' command that the disciples not tell
anyone what they had seen, like Odysseus to Telemachus. None of the
examples you cite mentions a heavenly bleacher or a command to silence.
By the way, it's good to hear from you again.
Dennis

Dennis,

The court is still out for me regarding your theory of Homer's influence on Mark.

But that being said, I have to go with Joe on this one. The connection with Moses, Elijah and mountains clearly roots this story in a dual way to Ex 19-20, and 1 King 19. *If* Homer has influenced this passage in any way (which may be), he had to clearly stand in line BEHIND these Hebrew scripture points of contact!
--
Peace

Steve Black
Vancouver, BC