freetds - Re: [freetds] can you help the project?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] can you help the project?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 16:47:02 +0200

> > At 8:33 AM -0400 6/8/07, James K. Lowden wrote:
> > >Would you like to do something vital for FreeTDS? Can you
> > put a modern
> > >Sybase server online for use by the FreeTDS developers?
> >
> > I can't, but how many of the developers don't have an
> > x86-based Linux box available where they can install the free
> > ASE Express Edition:
> >
> > http://www.sybase.com/linuxpromo
> >
> > ?
> >

> I downloaded version 15.
> I tried to install (FC5)... crash... I read a lot of faq, change
> environments (LANG, LD_POINTER_GUARD, other...), profiles, I
> tried with
> a chrooted Linux (RH9), fixed some missing library. Naturally
> every time
> installing again after a cleanup... after 3 days I'm still unable to
> install ASE 15.. it always crashes!!

Finally I got it working !!!

I installed on a virtual machine CentoOS 3.8, installed Sybase 15 (after
shmmax change), compressed in a tar.gz file to get a chrooted
environment and now is working :)

I'm fixing the problem but patch seems something quite ugly :( I
attached it. It seems to reveal how some variable (column_varint_size,
column_type, on_server.column_type) are vey bounded and how the value
can be inconsistent :( There are so many places for instance where we
handle column_varint_size in way sligthly different. Also varint_size 5
and 4 are not so fine. Perhaps 4 is better for a simple 4 byte size
while 5 for 4 bytes size + timestamp. But perhaps is only an opinion...