freetds - Re: [freetds] can you help the project?

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] can you help the project?
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2007 10:28:29 -0400

Craig A. Berry wrote:
> At 8:33 AM -0400 6/8/07, James K. Lowden wrote:
> >Would you like to do something vital for FreeTDS? Can you put a modern
> >Sybase server online for use by the FreeTDS developers?
>
> I can't, but how many of the developers don't have an x86-based Linux
> box available where they can install the free ASE Express Edition

A fair question, Craig. I myself face limits in the Einsteinian
space-time continuum.

I live in a small place, meaning any such machine would be in my living
room. And administering such a machine is a time sink for me, because a)
I'm not familiar with Linux and b) I'm not familiar with Sybase.

I tried, though! I have a 300 MHz box with Turbo Linux and Sybase 11.5
installed. It took me a weekend to put together. Not wanting to dedicate
the box to that one purpose, I installed Grub to boot it up different
ways. For a few years, it was the most popular computer in the apartment.
We called it the "couchtop". And whenever I wanted to use it for testing,
it seemed someone else was using it to surf the 'net. Basically, running
that box was a poor investment of my time and space.

I receive several offers off-list. That tells me there are people out
there who value the Sybase support and who are willing to return the favor
in kind. That encourages me -- and, I hope, others -- to work on the
Sybase part of the protocol, even though I myself don't directly use it.

Regards,