freetds - Re: [freetds] Windows Question

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT freetds.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Windows Question
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:58:04 -0400

Patrick Corbett wrote:
> I was speaking ealier to Frank Kromann about using FreeTDS on a windows
> machine with PHP in order to avoid an issue that limits data pulled from
> SQL Server 2000 with PHP from a varchar field to 255 characters using
> php_mssql.dll. Normally, I would use Kromann's php_dblib.dll to fix
> this, but because apparently this library doesn't allow named instances
> for a server name in the freetds.conf file, and because I have to
> connect to my server with named instances (e.g., server\instance_name),
> I'm not sure what I can do.

http://www.freetds.org/userguide/freetdsconf.htm#FREETDSCONFFORMAT

Just put the instance name in freetds.conf and make sure you're using TDS
version 7.0 or 8.0.

It took me a minute to understand your question. Then I understood: if
you use Microsoft's ntwdblib.dll, you get TDS version 4.2, which limits
varchars to 255 characters. If you use FreeTDS, you get an updated
protocol and 8000-byte varchars.

I never thought I'd see FreeTDS supplant the vendor's own library....

HTH.