freetds - Re: [freetds] 0.63 Release Candidate 2

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] 0.63 Release Candidate 2
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:07:31 -0500

Martin Spott <Martin.Spott AT uni-duisburg.de> wrote:
> To ease things wouldn't it make sense to link libtds_objects and
> libreplacements directly into libtds - be the latter shared or not ?

Hi Martin,

libtds_objects and libreplacements are in libtds. At least, that's what
Makefile intends, and that's what most linkers accomplish.

This is in src/tds/Makefile.am:

libtds_la_LIBADD = libtds_objects.la \
$(NETWORK_LIBS) \
$(LIBICONV) \
../replacements/libreplacements.la \
$(FREETDS_LIBGCC)

However, that might be a mistake. From the Automake manual:

For each library, the `LIBRARY_LIBADD' variable contains the names
of extra libtool objects (`.lo' files) to add to the shared library.
The `LIBRARY_LDFLAGS' variable contains any additional libtool flags,
such as `-version-info' or `-static'.

I note that the troublemakers are are the .la items, and the manual says
to use .lo. Maybe it should be:

libtds_la_LIBADD = libtds_objects.lo \
$(NETWORK_LIBS) \
$(LIBICONV) \
../replacements/libreplacements.lo \
$(FREETDS_LIBGCC)

You're set up to build from CVS, aren't you? Do you want to give that a
try, and see if it works better?