freetds - RE: [freetds] 0.63 Release Candidate 2

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Spadea, David NYC" <DBSpadea AT citco.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] 0.63 Release Candidate 2
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 11:57:54 -0500

Hi all,

I've upgraded to m4 1.4.2, automake 1.9, autoconf 2.59. 'autoheader' is
version 2.59.

The --disable-odbc issue was my mistake. When I added it to the command
line, I neglected to remove the --with-unixodbc switch, and just used my
command history to run it each time, failing to notice my mistake. Ugh.
Sorry for the confusion.

With --disable-odbc (and sans --with-unixodbc), RC1 builds to tsql, where it
dies with symbol referencing errors. Adding --disable-apps and recompiling
seems to do the trick, and it builds without apps or odbc.

After the upgrades mentioned above (the new 'autoconf' was the key), RC2
gets all the way to the compile of tsql before getting symbol referencing
errors (see below). The addition of --disable-apps gets around this, and the
build finishes successfully.

So, to sum it up:

1. ODBC build issue doesn't exist in RC2. It builds just fine now.
2. tsql still doesn't build (see below)
3. upgrade of 'autoconf' fixed the initial build issue I was having. While I
upgraded other things, the build was still broken until the new autoconf was
introduced.
4. --disable-odbc problem was 'pebkac' error. Sorry...

'Working' configure command (from a fresh un-tar):

./configure --prefix=/export/home/dbspadea/3rd/freetds-0.63RC2
--with-unixodbc=/export/home/dbspadea/3rd/unixODBC --with-tdsver=4.2
--disable-apps

'tsql' symbol ref errors:

gcc -g -O2 -o .libs/tsql tsql.o -L/export/home/dbspadea/3rd/unixODBC//lib
../tds/.libs/libtds.so /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so -L/usr/local/lib
-L/usr/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -lnsl -lsocket -lc
-R/export/home/dbspadea/3rd/freetds-0.63RC2/lib -R/usr/local/lib
Undefined first referenced
symbol in file
tds_set_interfaces_file_loc tsql.o
tds_submit_query tsql.o
tds_process_result_tokens tsql.o
tds_client_msg tsql.o
tds_alloc_login tsql.o
tds_alloc_context tsql.o
tds_set_language tsql.o
tds_free_login tsql.o
tds_alloc_socket tsql.o
tds_free_connection tsql.o
tds_get_compiletime_settings tsql.o
tds_set_app tsql.o
tds_convert tsql.o
tds_connect tsql.o
tds_process_row_tokens tsql.o
tds_set_user tsql.o
tds_set_port tsql.o
tds_get_null tsql.o
tds_set_library tsql.o
tds_read_config_info tsql.o
tds_version tsql.o
tds_set_server tsql.o
tds_set_client_charset tsql.o
tds_free_context tsql.o
tds_set_parent tsql.o
tds_set_passwd tsql.o
tds_get_conversion_type tsql.o
tds_free_socket tsql.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to .libs/tsql
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [tsql] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/export/home/dbspadea/freetds-0.63RC2/src/apps'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/export/home/dbspadea/freetds-0.63RC2/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Thanks everyone!

Dave