freetds - RE: [freetds] PHP+MSSQL compile on AIX 5.1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] PHP+MSSQL compile on AIX 5.1
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:09:05 -0400

Well, that's really a PHP question. I don't use PHP, but I think when you
configure it, you can say ./configure --with-mssql. Try "./configure --help
| grep mssql".

(For projects like FreeTDS and PHP, which use the GNU build system, each
project has its own "configure" script that generates its makefiles. The
options you pass to configure determine what exactly those makefile do. The
--help option will list the options.)

> I admit I am so new that I have my pics in the dictionary
> agianst the word 'green'!

:-)

> Should I compile PHP also with --tsql also? So far since

No. I hope the above made that clear.

> Now I do have the need to go to MSSQL & Oracle
> data bases via
> PHP, and I am thinking that I am in for a lot of pain!

That depends. If learning is pain, yes. For me, pain is learning something
by trial and error that should be (or is) written down. In this case, most
of what you need to know is written down. The challenge will be to master
the informantion and the environment.

> DO I NEED the unix odbc?

Not for FreeTDS. You mentioned Oracle, which AIUI does use ODBC. If you
wind up using ODBC, you can use FreeTDS's ODBC driver. But the sybase and
mssql extensions don't use ODBC.

HTH.

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.
If you, as the intended recipient of this message, the purpose of which is to
inform and update our clients, prospects and consultants of developments
relating to our services and products, would not like to receive further
e-mail correspondence from the sender, please "reply" to the sender
indicating your wishes. In the U.S.: 1345 Avenue of the Americas, New York,
NY 10105.