freetds - RE: [freetds] Status: 0.62rc1

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: "FreeTDS Development Group" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Status: 0.62rc1
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 10:04:22 +0100

> FWIW, gethostbyname() is threadsafe on Mac OS X 10.2 and later.
>
> <http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2053.html>

Good! Also they introduced getpwuid_r so if we have getpwuid_r
gethostbyname is thread-safe. However what they mean by "gethostbyname()
family" ?? Even getservbyname? All resolve functions? I updated CVS
version to use getipnodebyaddr/getipnodebyname if available (it's always
thread-safe). However I have problems with getservbyname. I used
getaddrinfo if getservbyname_r is not available. I don't know if this
function is really thread-safe (it should but in man page the
implementation is not thread-safe... very bad!) however I don't think
many people will use that function. I compiled successfully on Mac OS X
10.2 (sourceforge) however I didn't test it... Is anyone with Mac OS X
or *BSD want to test it...

> I do have ODBC installed because OS X installs it for you. But I have
> done zero setup on it. I have no idea how you account for
> that. Apple's
> done almost no documentation on it. (And "almost" is being generous,
> unless I'm mistaken.)

Current code should configure unixODBC/iODBC while testing however I
don't know which implementation Mac OS X use...