freetds - Re: [freetds] status: documentation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: brian AT bruns.com
  • To: freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] status: documentation
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:09:03 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 05:41:51 -0500, "James K. Lowden"
wrote:

> On 24 Dec 2003, Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it>
> wrote:
> > Il mer, 2003-12-24 alle 01:45, James K. Lowden ha
> scritto:
> > > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, "ZIGLIO Frediano"
> <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > I think creating a symbolic link is more obvious,
> more reliable,
> > > faster, and conserves disk space.
> >
> > I know, however distdir role seems to dislike links
> :( I had to change
> > that code for this reason... Note also that on Linux
> it seems to be a
> > problem creating links. ln check is first file
exists
> than create the
> > link so it's better to create link only on current
> directory.
>
> (see below)
>
> > > 1. Use '[', because I think it's fine.
> >
> > Ok. I'm quite new to Unix so it was only a tale for
> me :)
>
> This must be some definition of "new" I'm not familiar
> with.

This is documented in the autotools book among other
places. It is a best practices kinda thing. I'd
recommend following it if only because it's convention
for portable script, even if I can't think of a modern
system with problems, freetds has been run on some
pretty strange platforms.