freetds - [freetds] status: documentation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] status: documentation
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:22:14 -0500

I've spent the last three days hacking a way to install the documentation.
These are a few of my not favorite tools....

Freddy: the solution I came up with earlier didn't work, because that
variable doesn't accept a directory. The solution you came up with -- the
$(DOCDIR)/userguide/* target -- didn't work on my machine, maybe because I
use BSD make.

My solution has several parts:

1. use EXTRA_DIST to include built documentation in the source
distribution. This has the nice property of accepting directories.

2. use pkgdata_DATA to trigger "data" installation.

3. use install-data-local (once again) to move the UG and reference
manual to $(datadir)/doc/freetds-$(RELEASE).

4. use $(mkinstalldirs) to create directories, and $(INSTALL_DATA) to
copy the files.

5. remove the spurious $(pkgdatadir) created by pkgdata_DATA.

One objective was to let people using ./configure do e.g.:

$ mkdir build; cd build
$ ../configure

That works. If they have jade and doxygen set up, the documentation will
be built in the build directory and installed therefrom. If they don't
have one or the other, and are working from a normal source distribution,
the build directory will be symlinked to the source directory, and
installed as if it had been built.

Along the way, I discovered a bunch of other little problems, like things
that should have been in EXTRA_DIST that weren't.

I think Frediano and I are the only fellows building documentation
regularly. I haven't tested every permutation, and if you have problems
at the tail end of your installation, it might well be because of this
work. Your install should otherwise be unaffected. Just holler and I'll
try to remedy whatever's broken.

There was a complaint recently about errors installing documentation. I
hope to have fixed that.