freetds - Re: [freetds] status: documentation

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] status: documentation
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 05:41:51 -0500
On 24 Dec 2003, Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it> wrote:
> Il mer, 2003-12-24 alle 01:45, James K. Lowden ha scritto:
> > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003, "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > I think creating a symbolic link is more obvious, more reliable,
> > faster, and conserves disk space.
>
> I know, however distdir role seems to dislike links :( I had to change
> that code for this reason... Note also that on Linux it seems to be a
> problem creating links. ln check is first file exists than create the
> link so it's better to create link only on current directory.

(see below)

> > 1. Use '[', because I think it's fine.
>
> Ok. I'm quite new to Unix so it was only a tale for me :)

This must be some definition of "new" I'm not familiar with.

> > 2. Use "ln -s" instead of copying the files to the build directory.
>
> First test that
>
> mkdir build
> cd build
> ../configure
> make dist
>
> works and do not rebuild UG/reference.

Agreed. I won't change it unless that works.

> The solution perhaps is replacing
>
> $(DOCDIR)/userguide/index.htm: $(srcdir)/userguide.sgml userguide.dsl
>
> with
>
> $(DOCDIR)/userguide/index.htm: $(srcdir)/userguide.sgml userguide.dsl.in
>
> and remove userguide.dsl role...

You know, that's probably fine. I had the idea that you could change
DOCBOOK_DSL and get a new userguide.dsl, but of course you can't. It's
actually better to regenerate it unconditionally immediately before
invoking jade. That way, you get a new UG if the SGML or the .dsl
(effectively) has changed. If you want to rebuild the docs because of a
new DocBook installation (changing DOCBOOK_DSL), just remove the HTML and
"make".

> > 3. Change install-data-local to:
> >
> > install-data-local: installdirs \
> > $(DOCDIR)/reference/index.html \
> > $(DOCDIR)/userguide/index.htm
> > $(INSTALL_DATA) -c $(DOCDIR)/userguide/*
> > $(TARGET_DOCDIR)/userguide$(INSTALL_DATA) -c $(DOCDIR)/reference/*
> > $(TARGET_DOCDIR)/reference
>
> It doesn't work. If you issue make dist without make it fails. The
> reason is simple, $(DOCDIR)/reference/index.html already exists (in
> srcdir directory) so reference/userguide get no built... I put my test
> script under misc/test-dist.sh. It's slow (it takes 8 minute on my
> machine) but it's what we aim..

I'll look at your script. I hadn't tested every combination; I was happy
to get just the main one working. I won't "fix" anything unless it works
at least as well as what you've got.

I think it's possible to use the symlinks if the dependencies are set up
right. But code is proof, eh?

Regards,