freetds - Re: [freetds] Status

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Status
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 13:06:42 -0500
On 06 Dec 2003, Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it> wrote:
> Il ven, 2003-12-05 alle 18:56, Lowden, James K ha scritto:
>
> Where can I found a "DocBook guide for lazy boy" ?? :)

http://www.morphon.com/xmleditor/index.shtml (free as in beer).
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/DocBook-Demystification-HOWTO/
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-docbk.html
http://docbook.godoy.homeip.net:81/sgml/docbook/howto/writing-docbook.html

But probably the easiest thing is to use the UG itself. Find some section
that will serve as a template, and copy that.

I just keep two tabs open in Mozilla: one tab on the Definitive Guide and
one tab for the UG.

> > > - ct_dynamic. Code is in CVS... do we need some tests ?
> >
> > That would be a good idea. Can you adapt something from the ODBC
> > tests?
>
> I don't know... I don't know ct-lib that much... :(

Me neither. Maybe it will have to wait for some else, when needed.

> > If we say, "You can set up your ODBC connection using only
> > odbc.ini", we shouldn't call that a "conf-less" setup.
>
> That came from DSN-less. DSN-less is used in ODBC terminology so we
> extend it to freetds.conf-less... Perhaps as Steve suggests we should
> encourage to avoid the use of freetds.conf and use
> "freetds.conf-ness"...
> Usually however is easy to test FreeTDS with tsql and configure odbc to
> point to freetds.conf server...

Yeah, the real answer is to have a primitive "odbc_ping" or something, to
be able to test the connection. The real problem with ODBC is testing the
setup: the diagnostics are terrible. All you get is "could not connect",
when what you need is "could not connect to server 'servername' on host
'hostname' at port 'portnumber' as user 'username' with password
'password'", where the low-level feedback comes from libtds and the
high-level comes from the odbc driver.

> > > - appendix C. Is there a way to put all GNU license in a
> > > single page ??
> >
> > Probably. I don't see why we should do that. If we decide to offer
> > the UG with a variety of html chunkings, we'd want Appendix C to
> > follow the same arrangement as the main text.
> >

> Simply cause license is a unique document... I don't know if you can
> split legal material as you want...

I don't believe that's an issue. I'm sure the FSF lawyers thought about
that; lot's of contracts span multiple pages.

Regards,