freetds - Re: [freetds] Status

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Status
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 11:04:21 -0500

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:25:30 -0600, "Steve Murphree" <smurph AT smcomp.com>
wrote:
> > If we say, "You can set up your ODBC connection using only
> > odbc.ini", we shouldn't call that a "conf-less" setup.
>
> If using ODBC, I'm of the opinion that nothing involving freetds.conf
> need be mentioned. ODBC setup should only involve odbc.ini and friends.

I see your point.

There may be sites that use more than one driver; they would benefit from
centralizing server descriptions in freetds.conf. But perhaps that's a
more esoteric setup that should be addressed under "advanced
configurations" or in an appendix.

Constraining the main ODBC instructions to odbc.ini would definitely
simplify the discussion.

How do feel about the completeness and reliability of the ODBC driver,
Steve, now that your patch has been incorportated? Does it suit your
purpose, or is there some important missing feature?

Regards,