freetds - [freetds] OpenOffice problems - quote or not quote ? (was "Error in SQLGetInfo for SQL_FILE_USAGE")

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "ZIGLIO Frediano" <Frediano.Ziglio AT vodafone.com>
  • To: <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [freetds] OpenOffice problems - quote or not quote ? (was "Error in SQLGetInfo for SQL_FILE_USAGE")
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:50:28 +0100

Should ODBC enable QUOTED_IDENTIFIER? What character should ODBC return
from SQLGetInfo(SQL_IDENTIFIER_QUOTE_CHAR)?

I did some tests yestarday with Sybase server.

create table test (i int)
Ok
select * from "test"
Error
set quoted_identifier on
Ok
select * from "test"
Ok
select * from "tempdb"."dbo"."test"
Error ??
select * from tempdb."dbo"."test"
Ok ??
create table "a!@()*&" (i int)
Ok

Well... still same questions... The correct options seems two
1- enable QUOTED_IDENTIFIER (ON) and return "\"" as separator. This is
SQL92 compliant (and mssql too). However we have to remove quotation
from db name (or, using other words we have to remove quoting when
unneeded). So clients can use even strange names for tables/fields...
2- do not enable QUOTED_IDENTIFIER (OFF) and return "" (an empty string)
as separator.

2 is faster to implement but IMHO 1 is better. Perhaps 2 for 0.62 and 1
for 0.63 ... ?

freddy77

  • [freetds] OpenOffice problems - quote or not quote ? (was "Error in SQLGetInfo for SQL_FILE_USAGE"), ZIGLIO Frediano, 12/05/2003