freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql fails on HP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Robert A Nesius <rnesius AT ichips.intel.com>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql fails on HP
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 09:04:36 -0800 (PST)
On 2 Dec 2003, Frediano Ziglio wrote:

> > > If --disable-treadsafe helps, great, that's one solution. Since we've
> > > got
> > > one HP flavor working with threads, it doesn't seem beyond hope that we
> > > might get yours functioning, too, if that's a priority for you .
> >
> > I used '--enable-threadsafe' and that cleared up the seg-fault
> > problem. I'm running into some errors during 'make check' on
> > most of the platforms I built for. I'm presently trying to
> > make sure my configurations are correct and then I'll have to
> > look into root-causing them perhaps because it seems these
> > new freeTDS libs + DBD::Sybase are not dropping in as transparantly
> > as anticipated.
> >

> Hi Rob.
> I don't understand why you had to enable threadsafe while someone else
> have to disable it !!! threadsafe should usually be enabled (it's the
> default configuration), disabling it can cause problems in thread
> environments...

It seems more intuitive to me that disabling threads is safer than
turning them on...

Here's my configure line.
$ ../freetds-0.61.2/configure --prefix=/usr/intel/pkgs/freeTDS/0.61.2
--enable
-threadsafe

Without the --enable-threadsafe freeTDS blew up.

> About "make check"... FreeTDS unlike many other projects require some
> configurations in order to execute successfully "make check" you can't
> just:
> - download
> - unpack
> - configure
> - make
> - make check

Right.

> !!!
> You must configure a sql server to connect and check.

I did that. :)

> Usually it require
> to copy freetds.conf (from source) to your $HOME/.freetds.conf,
> configure a server, edit PWD file (in source directory) and execute
> "make check".

I set up a database, registered it in freetds.conf, set the PWD
file, and ran make check. Most of the test suites failed with
like 5/6 passing, etc... some failed worse. I'm currently revalidating
all of my settings and will try again.

> In order to test ODBC too you must also set odbcinst.ini
> (or ignore connect test error) and odbc.ini (with the same server name
> used in freetds.conf).

That I didn't know... odbcinst.ini are files? I don't see
them in my build tree.

Thanks for your help and patience Freddy,

-Rob

--
#include <sig.h>
Robert Nesius rnesius AT ichips.intel.com 503.712.2181