freetds - Re: [freetds] tsql fails on HP

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] tsql fails on HP
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2003 21:29:51 -0500

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Robert A Nesius <rnesius AT ichips.intel.com> wrote:
> > Hi Rob.
> > I don't understand why you had to enable threadsafe while someone else
> > have to disable it !!! threadsafe should usually be enabled (it's the
> > default configuration), disabling it can cause problems in thread
> > environments...
>
> It seems more intuitive to me that disabling threads is safer than
> turning them on...
>
> Here's my configure line.
> $ ../freetds-0.61.2/configure --prefix=/usr/intel/pkgs/freeTDS/0.61.2
> --enable-threadsafe
>
> Without the --enable-threadsafe freeTDS blew up.

Rob,

I think I can explain that. With 0.61:

$ ./configure --help |grep thread
--enable-threadsafe compile for thread safety default=no

Meaning, if you say "--enable-threadsafe", configure sees
"--enable-threadsafe=no". Some people would probably say that's
counter-intuitive. In your shoes, I'd probably be less kind.

That's for 0.61. Current CVS corrects the situation:

$ ./configure --help |grep thread
--disable-threadsafe disable calls to threadsafe fuctions

Threads are now enabled by default, and can be disabled with
--disable-threadsafe or its equivalent, --enable-threadsafe=no. If you
say "--enable-threadsafe", you're redundantly (and harmlessly) restating
the default.

If you have time and inclination for further testing, I'd be interested to
hear how that works out for you with a current snapshot. If you're keen
on getting threaded operation to work on HPUX 11.00 and don't mind
programming by mail, we could probably cut you in on a share of the
profits.

Regards,