freetds - Re: [freetds] Applying Steve Murphee patch (2)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "James K. Lowden" <jklowden AT schemamania.org>
  • To: FreeTDS Development Group <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [freetds] Applying Steve Murphee patch (2)
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 02:45:39 -0400

On 30 Jul 2003 07:59:48 +0200, Frediano Ziglio <freddyz77 AT tin.it> wrote:

> > Server Name: The name of the Database Server proper. This should be
> > our SERVERNAME. This would equate to an IBM DB2 database instance
> > name. Server Host: The host/machine name. This should be our HOST on
> > which SERVERNAME resides.
> > Server Port: The port at which SERVERNAME is listening.
> >
> > This is so that multiple instances of the database can run on the same
> > machine. I don't think it is currently supported, but I know that it
> > is planned. I have not had a look at M$SQL 2003 yet. Anyone know if
> > this is the case for SQL 2003? But even without multiple instances,
> > SERVERNAME and HOST can be different.
> >

> This is much clear. I though to use syntax line
> Server=myserver/myinstance
> For mssql2k+
> I never used multiple instance (even on windows..). Can you configure a
> DSN for no default instance and see configuration entries ?

<servername> listens on a host at a port. It's the label we assign the
host+port combination, for convenience. Multiple instances are merely
several ports on a given host. Give them different names. No big deal.
Or am I missing something?

--jkl

P.S. I am really pleased to see Steve's patch going in. Kudos to both of
you.