freetds - RE: [freetds] Applying Steve Murphee patch (2)

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] Applying Steve Murphee patch (2)
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:40:28 -0400

The attached message came from Daniel Morgan on 5 February and includes C#
code that appears to send a UPD message to port 1434 to discover the port
for a named instance. That behavior conforms to Microsoft's description:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/architec/8_
ar_cs_9okz.asp

Why do you say the driver blindly attempts to connect to a range of ports?

I've been ignoring named instances because they looked like nothing more
than an extra entry in freetds.conf. From your description of the ODBC API,
it sounds like we really need to implement the discovery protocol if we're
going to support them properly. Would you agree?

the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message. Please note that we do not accept account orders and/or instructions
by e-mail, and therefore will not be responsible for carrying out such orders
and/or instructions.