freetds - RE: [freetds] unixODBC failing to connect.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Lowden, James K" <LowdenJK AT bernstein.com>
  • To: "'FreeTDS Development Group'" <freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [freetds] unixODBC failing to connect.
  • Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:19:42 -0400

OK, you're going to try to connect to "testserver".

> DIAG [S1000] Client unable to establish connection

... and don't. :( ...

> contents of TDSDUMP:
> 2003-04-15 09:32:38.219047 iconv will convert client-side
> data to the ""
> character set
> 2003-04-15 09:32:38.220719 IP address pointer is NULL
> 2003-04-15 09:32:38.220741 Server SYBASE not found!

... because the FreeTDS driver was not passed a valid servername.

> ODBC.INI:
> [testserver]
> Driver = TDS
> Description = Northwind sample database
> Trace = yes
> Servername = 192.168.1.15
^^^^^^^^^^^^ should be "testserver".
> Database = Northwind
> UID = sa

> FREETDS.CONF:
> [global]
> tds version = 4.2
> initial block size = 512
> swap broken dates = no
> swap broken money = no
> text size = 64512
>
> [testserver]
^^^^^^^^^^ Put this in the "Servername" entry, above
> host = testserver.foo.com
> port = 1433
> tds version = 8.0

The ODBC driver reads ODBC.INI to get the "real" servername, which it passes
to FreeTDS (which in turn looks up the ip address of the name in the "host"
entry).

If you don't change anything, and set TDSDUMPCONFIG, I think you'll see
FreeTDS trying to connect to 192.168.1.15 but failing because the TDS
version number isn't right. When FreeTDS can't resolve a name to an address
(gethostbyname() fails), it will try using the passed string as an address.
Not much of a feature anymore, really.

I think you'll be OK if you change the "Servername" entry in ODBC.INI:

Servername = testserver

because you have [testserver] in freetds.conf.

You don't *have* to use both these files. We tried to make that clear in
the User Guide. http://www.freetds.org/userguide/x1853.htm. Anything you
can do to make that more understandable would be welcome. :-)

Regards,

out such orders and/or instructions.